CKC Whitewater Kayaking Instructor Program
The Canoe Kayak Canada (CKC) Whitewater Kayak Instructor program is the nationally recognised certification for whitewater kayaking.
The CKC program is part of the National Coaching Certification Program (NCCP). The NCCP is ran by the Coaching Association of Canada and offers qualifications in many different sports.
The program also operates in tandem with Paddle Canada qualifications - when you obtain a CKC qualification you automatically gain the equivalent Paddle Canada qualification.
The NCCP Kayaking qualifications are:
- Pool Kayak Instructor – Qualifies instructor to lead a pool kayaking session. Ideal entry point for new instructors. No need to have a background in paddling. Well suited to lifeguards. Instructs the basics to new paddlers including propulsion, basic strokes and wet-exits.
- Lake Kayak Instructor – Qualifies instructor to lead and instruct paddlers on lakes. Demonstrates and instructs rolling, edging and basic strokes to new paddlers to prepare them for whitewater.
- River Kayak Leader 2 – Qualifies leader to lead intermediate paddlers down class 1-2 rivers.
- River Kayak Instructor 2 – Instructor instructs intermediate paddlers on class 1-2 rivers.
- Whitewater Kayak Leader 3 – Qualifies leader to lead paddlers on class 3 whitewater.
- Whitewater Kayak Instructor 3 – Instructor instructs advanced paddlers on class 3 whitewater.
Each qualification is a prerequisite for the next.
Paddlers must be 16 year of age to can gain trained status and 18+ to gain certified status.
To obtain an NCCP sport qualification all participants must pass the Making Ethical Decisions module, this can be taken online.
Ontario course dates for 2017 are as follows:
- Pool and Lake Instructor June 3/4
- Level 2 Leader/ Instructor June 5-9
- Level 3 Leader/Instructor June 19-23 (held on the Ottawa river)
All courses are organized by the Madawaska Kanu Centre.
The two-day Pool and Lake Instructor course is based at MKC but held on a local lake. Evaluation is held during the weekend.
The level 2 five day course combines both the leader and instructor qualifications into one course. The course is held on the Madawaska river and includes the end of course evaluation.
The level 3 course combines both the leader and instructor qualification along with the evaluation. The 5-day course is held on the Ottawa river and is based at the Owl Rafting Resort.
For further information about these courses contact the Madawaska Kanu Centre.
If you want to know more about how the CKC program works, or want to run a CKC course for your club, contact your WO Director of Instruction Andy Parry