Whitewater Ontario is scheduling a General Meeting for a couple of provincial and club relevant items. It is open to all members.
- Tuesday January 24th, 2017
- Go To Meeting - Online TeleConference
1) NEW ADHOC POSITION FOR 2017
We are accepting nominations for a position of AdHoc Director.
- Since the AGM in November 2016, there is a proposal to add a position to the Board of Directors.
- There is an identified need for this position to assist with engaging members, both current and future.
- This position is to help grow the organization as per objectives set by CKC and our own membership strategic plan 3years ago.
- There is currently 1 nominee with a strong skillset for this and other board duties.
- List of nominees will close immediately prior to the start meeting.
- Proxy voting via email will be permitted by members.
2) NAME CHANGE of MWWP
There is a proposal to change the name from Minden "Wild Water" Preserve to the Minden "Whitewater" Preserve.
- The Board of Directors is seeking input from clubs and member paddlers regarding a name change to reflect more current terms.
- OWWA (Ontario Wild Water Affiliation) and The Minden Wild Water Preserve has held its name since in their inception in the 1970's.
- The term "wild water" was used back then by OWWA to reflect a "sense of adventure". It is also a european term to reflect steep major descents of Class 4-5,
- In current day, the term Wild Water is now used by water-based theme parks, and the competitive category of and downriver racing.
- In 1997 OWWA rebranded as "Whitewater Ontario" to simplify its name and become more current. It had the support of its original members.
- Nowadays paddlers and locals including Minden Township officials, refer to the site as the "whitewater" preserve.
- To confirm this proposal - Roger Parsons, one of the original founders of the MWWP and OWWA has made it clear that he strongly supports changing the name to: Minden Whitewater Preserve.
- This will help rebrand the preserve as we continue to do river and trail improvements.
Please indicate your participation by completing the Special Meeting registration form, link provided below:
If you wish you can also send an email of your intentions on:
1) proxy vote or
2) note of support or against MWWP name change
If attending, Donna will forward the meeting coordinates a day prior to the Jan.24th meeting.
If you have any questions, drop me a line.