Madawaska Kanu Center
Seals /Aquabound Paddling Gear
Boatwerks Kayak and Surf Shops
Level Six Paddling Clothing
Kokatat Paddling Clothing
Paddlers of course will be familiar with the following events, for the non paddling music fans make sure to get down to the river and see at least one of these events, you’ll be amazed at the entertainment value and the advanced skills of the paddlers participating. If you are really daring bring some water clothing and we’ll do our best to get you into a boat in the nearby lake area.
- On Saturday morning the annual Andrew Westlake Memorial Slalom Race will be held. This is a traditional slalom race using the entire run of the river. An excellent spectator event and a top quality race with many of the current Canadian team racers and Olympic hopefuls.
- Saturday afternoon on the upper section of the Gull river Boatwerks will host the Boatercross Downriver Race. This is open to all festival participants. Think motocross on the water, head to head kayakers racing from start to finish in heats until only one is left. Elimination racing, side by side in Class 4 whitewater, very exciting to watch, even more exciting if you are in one of the boats.
- Sunday all day there will be workshops and clinics for beginning to advanced paddlers. Festival goers are encouraged to join one of these sessions to learn first strokes or improve existing skills. Whitewater Ontario will make our fleet of kayaks and gear available for a first time experience to folks who don’t own gear. On the other end of the spectrum, if you want to buff up some serious creeking or river running skills the Gull and these sessions could be the place.
- Sunday Afternoon Mountain Surf Paddling Gear will host a freestyle / rodeo event. As yet the details aren’t confirmed but typically this is a surf based competition held at Earl’s wave in the upper river area. This event is often referred to the Average Joe and Jane Rodeo, in other words no pros. Maybe if enough of them are present we’ll see a Pro class. We’ll see what turns up this is always a fun event with some of the most impressive kayak skills being demonstrated.
- Whitewater Ontario will also provide a food concession during the day Saturday consisting of barbecue foods, there will be a few healthy and vegetarian choices also.
- Saturday through out the day and early evening there will be commemorative events and race results.
This is the Twenty Eighth year of operation of this amazing whitewater facility and we’re planning to honour the folks who started the thing and have kept it going over those years.